Friday, January 30, 2009

Lots and lots of ICE

This has been such a CRAZY week! As many of you have heard, we had 2 major ice/snow storms this week that resulted in schools being closed all week and power loss for over a million people in Kentucky. For those of you that don't know what an ice storm is, here is a picture to give you an idea:

Picture every tree limb, power line, and even every blade of grass coated in ice. In the sun it looks like the trees have been dipped in crystals. It is beautiful at first, but add more ice and six inches of snow on top and we had (have) a disaster on our hands. The problem is that the ice and snow on the trees became too heavy for the trees to bear and the trees started to break. Tree limbs have fallen on power lines, houses, and roads creating a real mess for the power companies. We were without power on Tuesday, so we decided to go to Nathan's parents house in Owensboro because they still had power. That night I woke up and felt the chill in the air--I knew that their power was out too. Luckily, we had a small propane heater, propane stove, and even a small generator. We stayed for two days and two nights and then got word that power was back in Hopkinsville, so we made our way home (dodging fallen trees on the freeway). Our power has flickered off and on a lot (giving me anxiety attacks--seriously!), but it seems like our power is now stable. The same can't be said for Nathan's parents and many others in W. Kentucky. We have been told that it will be a couple of weeks for some. People in Princeton and Paducah don't even have water, so we are considering ourselves very blessed right now. I have learned from the past 4 days that we were not nearly as prepared as we should have been. At the request of a couple of friends, I will compile a list of things that everyone reading this needs to have on hand.
1. Several Flashlights with extra batteries. Sound obvious? They are sold out EVERYWHERE here. You need to have them on hand.
2. Small propane cooking stove (with extra propane): If it is 50 degrees in your house the last thing you want is cold food. We had lots of hot chocolate--life saver!
3.Cash. We found a few grocery stores and gas stations open, but they were only taking cash. You should have at least $100 in small bills.
4. Propane heater: This was a huge help during the day. At my house we have a gas log fireplace that works when the power is out. We love it!!
5. Candles. We left a couple of large candles burning all of the time in the bathroom. It is surprisingly dark in there during the day.
6. Manual can opener. All I have is an electric can opener, so all my canned food is no help without a way to open it!
I would say that these are the essentials. If you don't have these things let my experience be a wake up call to each of you. There is nothing more terrifying than wondering if your children are hungry or freezing. We have made it through and I am so thankful to be sleeping in a warm bed tonight!!!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Let me just tell you I learned the same things a few months ago with hurricane Ike....the gospel is a blessing. We were without power for 11 days in 100+ degree weather. there was not food in the stores, not gas at the pumps...We were prepared just because we have been warned for years by our church leaders. I hope you are doing well, and remember what you learned. More is always coming...I miss you!

Tanya said...

WOW!! That is crazy! So glad you and your family are alright. Thanks for the tips on being prepared. I'll be checking my batteries and supplies tomorrow!!

Katie said...

I would just like to say that living in FL is looking better everyday. I can sympathize with you though. During hurricane season we had to be very prepared.Next time a disaster happens like that you all can come down at the drop of a hat. Love you guys and we are glad you are safe

Becky said...

The thing that I have really learned is that it doesn't really matter where you live, there is majoy chance for some type of disaster or major problem. Utah, Iowa, Kentucky, Florida. We have to be prepared for whatever might come!
Thanks for the tips! We have some of those things and we are using our tax return to tighten the ship a little!!!
Most of all, I am glad you guys are ok. I was thinking about you guys all last week!!! Keep safe!

Deborah said...

I'm so happy you are okay now. It was stressful not being able to get ahold of you for a couple of days! Thanks for the suggestions on being more prepared!

We can't wait to see you on Friday!!!

Turia said...

Man Amy... Sounds like a crazy time in the south. I remember being in some of their ice storms.. but never anything that bad.
I'm glad you are all ok.

jolie fleur said...

I've been thinking about you. I'm glad to know that you are okay now and that you guys made it through the tough times. I definitely appreciate the BTDT tips for preparedness. I always think it will never happen to me but this is proof that we can't always foresee what will happen and it is best to be prepared!